[Art]Procedural materials and plants for the diorama

Last week I’ve been busy creating some procedural materials for in our level. I’ve watched a lot of tutorials as well because it was my first big and complex material in substance designer. In the mean time I have tried to find a solution for a problem that occured to me as well. The problem was that I couldn’t save, open and adjust a material anymore. After I saved my material and closed it, it was locked for some weird reason. I had to post on a lot of forums and I’m currently mailing with an allegorithmic staff member to get the issue fixed.


This was a test material to see if it worked but the problem was still there like you can see written in the yellow text.

So that was it for the problems of this week, now onto the exiting stuff!

These are 3 different setups of the material I’ve created. It is certainly not perfect yet and it will need more work to really make the material ready for the final result but at this point it’s far enough that I can start using it already. You can make the tiles clean, dirty, add moss, let the material don’t have tiles at all, make a lot of tiles. It’s all adjustable in Unreal Engine with a few sliders!


This is how I’ve created it:


It looks a bit messy but if you go over it it’s not that hard to understand at all actually.

And finally some screenshots from the diorama where I’ve added plants and the material!




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *